Wednesday, September 25, 2013

OWH Perfect Blog Skip - Let 'Er Rip!


Hello, and welcome, blog skippers! If you came here from Lezlye's site, you have arrived safely! I'm so glad that you came to see what I will demonstrate from Perfect Paper Crafting today!

The product that I was so lucky to get to try is called the Perfect Layers tool. These ruler-looking straight-edge tools are just wonderful for making borders and layers for our card making. We all love lots of layers, right?

First off, I was very impressed by the craftsmanship of these tools. I do love high quality tools that are not flimsy because I know that they will be available in my papercrafting arsenal for a very long time! The three Perfect Layers tools shown here make it possible to create twelve different sizes of layers, can you imagine that? Tool #1 will make borders that measure 1/8, 5/8, 1/4 and 3/8". Tool #2 creates borders of 1/16, 1/2, 3/16 and 5/16", and so on. What a fantastic thing, not to have to worry about measurements. Just line up the width that you choose along each edge of your desired mat, and cut away. It's goof proof!


Here is what the tools look like close up. I love how the numbers that you see at the end of the tools show which measurement you will get using that edge. Just place the edge with the desired measurement right side up, and you are good to go. The tools are also made to work for both right and left-handed cutters. Bonus!

I decided to use this week's sketch # 191 to make my example card, because it already has lots of opportunities to make pretty layers.

I proceeded by preparing the pieces that I wanted to layer on some kraft colored card stock. I distressed the pieces of patterned paper first, and then used my ATG to glue them onto the kraft paper, leaving plenty of space to create edges. Perfect edges!

 

After much consideration, I decided to forego the cutting, which would have meant using the edge tool and a craft knife on a self-healing mat. I wanted to try the tools for something a little more than the obvious, so I used my left hand to hold down the tool, grabbed the kraft paper with my right, and gave it a good rip!


I love this. I love the look of paper tearing but I've never been able to get such a precise edge. In fact, I really doubt if I would have been able to accomplish this look without the Perfect Layers tool because my free-hand tearing would have been a disaster. I really enjoyed creating this look for a shabby-chic kind of card. I can definitely see using these tools over and over to create both straight cut, and torn edges in the exact measurements that I need.


I created three, torn edged mats to complete this romantic card. I hope that one of our heroes chooses it to send to their sweetie!

If you enjoyed seeing these tools today, I know that you will love the other great things available at Perfect Paper Crafting. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are even more tools, called Perfect Tears, for even more of this look. I can't wait to give them a try, too. If you shop over there today, don't forget to use code OWH5% for an additional 5% off your purchase and leave me a comment today to enter to win the $50 gift certificate to PCC. What a wonderful OWH Birthday Gift that would be. :)

Now hop along over to Paper Craft Planet to see what Susanna has for you today. Or, if you would like to start at the beginning of the hop, you can do that at Stars & Stamps. Thanks so much for stopping by!

post signature


53 comments:

Sandy Allnock said...

Awesome idea to rip along the nice even edge! Brilliant as always Nancy! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Tearing the paper with the edging tool? GENIUS!

Patti J said...

What fun! Love the tearing!!! Great cards - thanks for sharing :) It's been fun skipping with you today!

Diane Loughrey said...

What a wonderful sentiment. I may need to use that one.

1CardCreator said...

Gorgeous card and the sentiment is perfect too! ~Diane

Diane said...

Very romantic and lovely. I would have never thought to use the tool for tearing. Being that it is so sturdy I won't have to worry about breaking it while tearing...

Jean B in PA said...

The paper tearing worked wonderfully! Thanks for the idea. I think I will be getting a set of the layering tools for myself and at least one set for a Christmas gift for a friend.

Unknown said...

Oh Nancy! Tearing the edges, soooo clever. I love torn edges, but I too, have trouble keeping it even enough without going all chaos! TFS the tip!

Unknown said...

oh yeah the rip technique has never been one I have been able to get quite right...great tip!! Thanks. I like the cards Kraft is one of my favorite papers to use. Thanks for participating in the blog.

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

What a stunning card! Beautiful colours and layering!

Unknown said...

Tear the edge....great idea! Thanks for sharing a bit about the tools themselves...quality is so important when investing in a tool.

Julie w/OWH said...

Ooh, I need to try this! My tearing always looks wonky! Thanks for the idea, Nancy! And thanks so much for participating in our skip today!

Carol Salisbury said...

Great card! I love all the layers!

Melissa T. said...

I love those torn edges, makes it look so warm and cozy. :)

Tami B. said...

What a beautiful card and a wonderful sentiment. Thanks for showing the rulers up close so we can see better how they work.

Dixie Cochran said...

Well, aren't you the smart one! What a terrific idea to let 'er rip! Your card is lovely!

Lucy Schmidt said...

I love torn edges for adding dimension. Thanks for the great tip. The card is lovely.

Paula S. said...

We can always count on your posts for lots of good tips and ideas Nancy and once again you've come through! :) Such a pretty and romantic card too. Very versatile..I can see it being an everyday love card, Valentine or Anniversary card too. Perfect for OWH!

Colleen said...

Love the tearing, great look and saves time! Beautiful card!

Lezlye said...

Gorgeous card, I too lov ethe tearing. So many great idea's with these tools! Happy to be hopping with you!

Karen said...

Such a pretty card. Thank you for sharing

Carolynn said...

I've been blown away at every stop on this blog skip... perfect TORN layers? AHmazin'!!! Gives your card an extra special somethin somethin!

md said...

ooh, thanks for the idea...I always worry about cutting myself

Helen S said...

Now I learned even more !

Kathy said...

Your card is beautiful and great idea to use the ruler edge to make torn edges on your layers. Thanks for sharing.

Marsha said...

What pretty results with the tools. Love the vintage look of your card.

Unknown said...

Beautiful - and the tearing is perfect :)

Iris said...

Great layering and color combo.
isoscia@aol.com

Directmailscrapper said...

Gorgeous card from one Nancy to another! :)

Angie said...

That is a beautiful card.

JoAnn said...

Very pretty card. Love the colors.

Bert B said...

Another awesome idea! tear don't cut! love the card

Rufus said...

I love torn edges on cards! Brilliant to use the Perfect layers to tear and not just cut! Thank you for all your support of OWH!! Love the colors you choose and that sentiment!
R/

lindaplus3 said...

Very very pretty card... nice work :)

Unknown said...

Love the card... So pretty!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Very pretty! Love the color scheme!

Sherry Butcher said...

pretty and romantic card. Very versatile and a different way to use the tool - tearing. thanks.

M DelValle said...

Beautiful card and a very creative layout!

AmyS said...

I like your creative use of the tool! More inspiration for the test of us! And thanks for the step by step photos. You came up with a great card.

Unknown said...

Great card! Like the idea of using it to tear paper. Thanks for all you do for OWH.

Kristie Maynard said...

Really lovely card! Great job!

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorites. I love the design and the sentiment. The colors are soft and warm.

WhoMom said...

Love the torn edges and they can be so hard to get the right size. Your card will be happily received!
Thank you for showing us something different with the tool.
Lyn

Unknown said...

Beautiful card. I love how you tore the edges, and the color combo. Thank you for sharing.

Sue D said...

Lovely card and sweet sentiment.

rscholz said...

Love you card and the papers you used. Thanks for showing us a different way to us the tool. I really like the torn look. Thanks for sharing.

byAnnette said...

Nice you can get the distressed look in such a controlled way! Pretty!

Laurie2cats said...

Lovely card, those torn edges are perfect, too. great idea!

Roxie said...

Wonderful card and great job showing what those tools can help create, I love using mine! It's was fun skipping with you!

Lori said...

Beautiful card, I love the vintage look.

BobbisTreasure said...

Wow, I would not have thought about using the tools for tearing and not just cutting!! TFS!

Laura Pervier said...

Great idea on using them to tear the paper - I agree with you on the hand tearing method. Mine never look that good.

LARELLE-SUSANNE said...

love the torn edges, great technique, and OH MY I had a great laugh, loved your blog name and the tidbit of its all fun and games till someone looses an eyelet lol great share doing the blog skip~ thanks for supporting the armed forced, my husband and son are deployed to Afghanistan and Daughter in AF to Korea, WHEN THEY GET MAIL THEY ALL LIGHT UP, just knowing they are not forgotten and appreciated. SO THANK YOU ~ Hugs Larelle-Susanne